We have a baby sister!

We have a baby sister!
Joshua & Aaron hold Abby the first time.

Abigail Helena Tsegay Wright

Abigail Helena Tsegay Wright

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Match

Last week we received amazing news! After 9 months and 29 days of waiting we got the call informing us that we "matched".

The word itself sounds so insignificant. I mean socks "match"--not precious baby girls a continent away. Yet the moment we saw the photographs she simply "matched":-)

She is quite possibly the most beautiful baby girl I have ever laid eyes on. She has creamy, caramel skin that women all over the world covet. She has the most delicate little features I have ever seen. Finally, she has these enormous, perfectly round eyes that fill up her entire face. From the moment they saw her all the men in her life were captured. Even a week later, Daddy goes teary-eyed and her big brothers stare in amazement at the little girl we have been praying for all these months.

I feel a myriad of emotions that are difficult to describe. First, I am utterly in love with her. Second, I am even more anxious because I am utterly in love with her and she is still thousands of miles away. Third, I am incredibly heart-broken for the woman who gave her life.

How must it have felt to give up this darling daughter? What an unspeakable sacrifice. I have never endured the pitiful cry of a newborn baby begging for nourishment I could not give. I had the luxury of 24 hour supermarkets, pharmacies and pediatricians. My babies merely whimpered and their needs were met. My mother's heart broke as I stared at the photos and read the background that led Abby to our family.

A week later I have been able to digest the news and I feel grateful. Without a doubt Abby's birth mom loves her, and loves her unconditionally. She did not throw her away. She made a choice driven by the love only a mother can give. For that I am so very grateful. I know that Abby will have questions one day and we will have the answers.

Until then, sleep tight baby girl. You don't know it yet, but across the world we are dreaming of you and how you will feel in our arms.

Please God, bless Abby and keep her safe. We know you have great plans for her because even now she is an amazing testimony of your glory. And, Lord, bless her birth mom. Comfort her, surround her with your love and draw her near to you. Heal her broken heart as only You are able.


1 comment:

  1. Jean, every time i change my precious baby's diaper, feed him, bathe him, i think about all of those children just like abby or who are in orphanages in other parts of the world who cry continually and yet their needs are never met..and if they are, they are met in the most basic way possible...and my heart absolutely breaks. what you are doing is such an amazing, selfless, life-giving act. i'm praying for you guys not only for the journey you've yet to take to get her, but also for the journey you're going to be taking once she is home with you. love and miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete